Licence free two way radios are a convenient way to use two way radios without the worry or inconvenience of obtaining a radio operators licence.
Advantages of Licence Free Radios
- No licence required – of course
- Smaller initial cost outlay
- No call charges
- No contracts
- Pre-programmed frequencies, no programming needed
- Can be used throughout the EU
Disadvantages of Licence Free Two Way Radios
- Limited range compared to licensed radios
- Potentially congested channels – many operators use the same channels so interference can be more frequent
Types of Licence Free Two Way Radios
Here at Radiotronics, we categorise these into two headings – Walkie Talkies which are more leisure style radios, and Professional Grade Licence Free Radios which more resemble high power business radios. Read on.
Walkie Talkies (Leisure Style Radios)
Walkie talkies, usually supplied in pairs, are cheap and convenient types of two way radios. They’re usually small radios no larger than the palm of your hand. Here at Radiotronics, we stock a wide range of walkie talkies from both Motorola and Midland. Walkie Talkies are not always used for leisure use – sometimes they can be a cost-effective solution for small schools etc.
Advantages of Leisure-Style Walkie Talkies
- Usually Supplied in Pairs
- Cost Effective – Very Low Cost
- Easy to Use – Preprogrammed & work out the box
- Most accept either bundled batteries, or alkaline AA or AAA batteries
- Some models CTCSS to reduce interference
- No licence required of course
- Camping & Fishing
- Shooting Sports
- Paintball Activities
- Small Schools & Nurseries
What We Recommend
> See the Licence Free Walkie Talkies section on our website.
Business Grade Two Way Radios
Professional-grade licence free two way radios are radios look almost identical to high-power business radios. Business grade licence free two way radios are typically built to the same military specifications as their high-power siblings and are just as durable. The only real difference is that professional-grade licence free two way radios restricted to 500mW (0.5W) and operate on only the licence free radio band.
Advantages of Licence Free Professional-Grade Two Way Radios
- Same build quality as licensed radios
- Dealer programmable
- Almost all models are CTCSS capable for minimum interference
- Maximum feature set – almost all professional-grade licence free two way radios have similar features to licensed radios
- Some models are waterproof
- Construction sites
- Leisure centres
- Hospitality / Hotels
- Shooting & Fishing Sports
What We Recommend
> See the Licence Free Professional Grade Two Way Radios section on our website.